Monday, September 29, 2014

A Lecture and Fall

I've been traveling for the past few days in upstate New York, just south and east of the Syracuse area. Fall has begun. The oranges, reds and yellows are bursting in an explosion of color festooning the Oaks, Maples and Birches in a decoration of splendor. It's always a surprise to see what colors hide just below the green. When chlorophyl departs color appears.

Orange is the predominant color of early fall. Pumpkins are the harbingers; then come the leaves and berries until all color melts into the dullness of crunchy brown and tan.

I grew up in this region and I had forgotten just how beautiful and varied the terrain can be. The descriptive phrases of "hill and dale" and "pleasant valleys" are scenically accurate.

I'm visiting Cazenovia College, meeting with students and faculty and giving a lecture on Politics and Poetry -Telling the News and Sharing the Inside Stories. I enjoy these kinds of conversations for it encourages me to reflect on my career and synthesize the experiences into current times.

I plan on telling the students, "you are young and intelligent. You came into this world with a special power to heal its ills. You can collectively change the course of human events. Change the misuse of our environment, change the way governments become their narrow image instead of honoring their global essence. You can change the general malaise of dong nothing to positive action that brings quantum results in the twinkling of an eye."

I believe the young of today can do it. I believe they were born to do it.

I won't post tomorrow because of traveling, but I'll be back again on Wednesday. Thanks for tuning in.

No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation