Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Emerson's Essay

I suppose this post could be called a promo and a heads up.

Today I am recording with my friend Brett Barry at his studio Silver Hollow Audio an essay that Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote back in the mid 1800’s. It is called, “The Uses of Great Men”.  (Emerson uses the term “men” to mean all of humankind.)

I was first exposed to this essay in high school as an assignment in an advanced English class. When I read it at that time I did not understand the gestalt of the essay, but I loved so many of the phrases such as, “other men are lenses through which we read our own minds,” that I embraced Emerson’s essay as something profound throughout my adult life and career.

I was telling Brett about the experience and he said, “let’s record it.”

Silver Hollow audio is recording this bit of archaic prose to offer it as part of their collection for sale. I hope you will bookmark, “silverhollowaudio.com” and see their roster of audio considerations.

Thank you for your indulgence in this joy of mine.

I'll let you know when it is complete and available.

No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation