Monday, July 15, 2013

The Zimmerman Verdict


The George Zimmerman verdict.

Innocent!

President Obama said in a statement, “We are a nation of laws, and a jury has spoken.”

I remember years ago a top trial lawyer saying to the media after his client got off from a very serious felony charge, but was obviously guilty.

He said, “I didn’t say he was innocent. I said he was not guilty under the law.”

There is a world of difference between proving guilt and presumed innocent, if guilt cannot be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt then our laws protect even the guilty.

For years I have watched or reporting on high profile trials where sometimes the guilty get off because they are not guilty under the law. A jury of good and true peer citizens makes that decision.

To my knowledge no other country has this kind of citizen protection.

Even though injustices occur, I would not change it. In all cases a much higher court will eventually adjudicate an appropriate verdict.

No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation