Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Friendship

A friend asked me the other day if I had ever written anything on friendship.

Probably one of the hardest things to do is to put friendship into words.

It is especially hard to describe a friendship seasoned with time.

I looked and some of my past writings and I have written about friendship through the years, but something else popped up in my memory with what  Gail Vetter Levin had written many years ago for me and some friends of mine. I altered it and added to it, but it truly expresses a thought or two about friendship and friendships.

"Friendships travel and weather. They suffer and survive. They change and transfer. All things said get forgiven and forgotten and remembered, but have withstood the task of understanding.

Friendships have moments of old laughter where the walls smile long after conversation has left the room.
Friendships taste each other’s tears and fears.

The rarest of friends have all the goods on each other and know all the good in each other. Maybe they even know the bad, but long ago they ceased to notice."

I think it was Eleanor Roosevelt who said, “Many people walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave a footprint in your heart.”

All of this fits perfectly today for this is my best friend and my 48th wedding anniversary.

Damn, who wouldda thunk it.

No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation