Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Kayaking The Hudson River

I've seen the Hudson River from the air, from the Metro North train tracks that parallel the river and from big and medium size small boats, but never, till now, from the level of the water in a kayak.



My friends and I put in on the western shore of the river and paddled across the wide expanse to Pollepel Island on the east side and the home of the crumbling Bannerman's Castle.



I've included a couple of pictures of my kayak Hudson traverse in this post, but I've also posted a link to the history and some historic photos of what Bannerman's Castle looked like a hundred years ago.

http://www.artificialowl.net/2008/07/bannermans-castle-abandoned-military.html

Crossing this historic river just inches above the surface, feeling the wave chop and an even deeper spirit of the river’s history one can become at one with the river. It’s like sitting on your grandfather's lap and feeling the stories of a long and exciting life.



Midway across the expanse, looking south, you can see the bulwark and redoubts of the West Point Military Academy. Looking to the north you see the Newburgh Beacon Interstate 84 twin Span Bridge.

I've often written that your can find the surprise of nature anywhere you look. I saw a white spot bobbing on the water as I paddled across. As I got closer much to my surprise it was a shore bird resting on a small plank of wood. It didn't move as I floated by. I thought maybe it got tired as it flew across the Hudson and decided to rest for a while before resuming its flight.




The Hudson River begins in a small glacial tarn on the slopes of Mount Marcy in upstate New York. It’s called Lake Tear Of the Clouds. The river ends at the Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor. Not a bad legacy for a short, but dynamic river.

No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation