Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Wondering!

I saw a statistical graph the other day that indicated a person on a specific chemotherapy drug might expect an additional 48 days of life.

I understand the quest for life. I accept that the desire to live is the most atavistic instinct in the DNA of humankind.

What I don’t understand is the willingness to go through the pain and/or extreme discomfort of a drug therapy that only gives you another month and a half of life.

I don’t know what the accurate statistics are for western societies collective belief in the “here-after.” For the sake of argument let’s say that it is in the neighborhood of 75%.

If 75% believes there is a life of bliss and comfort beyond the density and constriction of what we have in the human existence called life, then why would one want to delay the inevitable when the death passage is going to happen anyway?

I do acknowledge that the survival instinct is tantamount to the human experience, but does not a spiritual awareness of a continuum ever trump the base instinct?

I would never fault the living to fight for life and I don’t know what I would choose in the same circumstances. I’m just wondering if that kind of thinking should be part of the choice equation?

No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation