Thursday, August 9, 2012

Travels

We hear so much about the economy and American's are not spending like they used to. That's probably true for the big ticket items, but not for tourist America, at least to my observation. The economy seems to be doing just fine.

I've spent the last few days with friends up along the Maine coast. We stayed at a reasonably priced Inn that was built in the 1890's and has undergone a series of modern renovations. We also dined at a couple of nice restaurants, not elegant, but nice and serving delicious food. We walked and shopped with the tourists at the shops in Kennebunkport; people are spending.

Some of the Inn prices we checked in this area were outrageous. $700.00 a night. I understand the need to make a profit in the high season, but that price is ridiculous and to my mind...greedy. We paid no where near that price.

The local celebrity is the first President Bush. He has a home here. His son, the second President Bush is also featured on post cards along with his Dad. I rented a Kayak to tour the Kennebunk River and the store owner said on the river you'll pass by a golf course where the President plays. I didn't ask what President. I just let it go.

There is something about the ocean that is mesmerizing. It engenders a rhythmic tranquility not found in other environs of nature. I can understand why people want to live here and why they want to come here if only for a brief moment of their lives.

The salt aroma is another attraction. So are the calls of the gulls and pipers and the rolling rocky splash of the waves. I think the next time I come here it will be in low season. The difference in price will be significant, but the charm and personality of Maine will be the same..

No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation