Monday, December 6, 2010

Carnegie Hall # 3

If you are a reader of this blog, you know that I was invited by composer Tim Janis to incorporate my holiday poetry into his magnificent concert of many talented performers and orchestras and choral groups at Carnegie Hall last Thursday.

The following information on Carnegie Hall was taken from the internet and is as accurate as I can determine.

“If you are a classical musician, opera singer, jazz performer, or pop group, you may have grown up dreaming of one day performing at the world famous Carnegie Hall.

For over a hundred years, Carnegie Hall has been a status symbol of the highest echelons of musical taste and appreciation.

Carnegie Hall bears the name of Andrew Carnegie, who originally had it built to house the Oratorio Society of New York and the New York Symphony Society.

Carnegie, who was famous for his philanthropy, served on the boards of both organizations. The great hall opened its doors on May 5, 1891 and featured the famous composer Peter Tchaikovsky conducting his musical works.

Quite a prestigious beginning for a music hall. Over the years, many famous performers have appeared at Carnegie Hall, such as Duke Ellington, Judy Garland, Frank Sinatra, Yo-Yo Ma and the Beatles! (Everyone I talked to during the concert rehearsal and the evening performance was thrilled to be in this Hall of performing history. Everyone was performing here for the first time.)

Carnegie Hall houses three concert halls and a museum. The Main Hall seats 2,804 people and is five levels. (We were in the Main Hall and it was packed—what a thrill!)


The late classical violinist, Isaac Stern, once said about the acoustics "It takes what you do and makes it larger than life.” (It’s true. When I first heard my voice come back to me through the hall’s speaker system...bouncing off the four story balconies...I was awed.)

The love that Isaac Stern had for Carnegie Hall is evident as you'll see that the Main Hall is now called the Isaac Stern Auditorium.

Believe it or not, Carnegie Hall was slated for demolition in 1960, but due to the efforts of Stern, it was saved and eventually purchased by the City of New York for $5 million.”

The performer age of the Janis concert ranged from nine, yes nine, to …ah….ah….me. I think I was the oldest performer there. As of today the sixth I will not yet be 70, but I am finishing the sixties. You figure it out ☺.

Don’t you love the riddles you can solve? I had a great time. Thank you Tim.

2 comments:

Lorelei said...

Sounds like a great success was had by all...and now you and the others can say, "I played Carnegie Hall".....that is certainly a momentous claim to add to his/her life and you deserve it. Congratulations!!!

I am also very proud to be an acquaintance of someone who can make that claim and to have been able to share in your experience.

Thank you so much.

Harold said...

Dear Renaissance (yes, I did have to consult the dictionary for the spelling) man: Ditto on Lorelei's nice comment.  But first let me be your straight man on this: "Pardon me sir, can you tell me how to get to Carnegie Hall?" Know that all of us are saying "WOW!!".

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation