Monday, September 14, 2009

The Sadness of Suicide


I was saddened by an email I received yesterday morning. It was from somebody I'd met nearly fifty years ago. I don't remember the person and I scarcely remember the event, but I profoundly acknowledge the shared pain of a life lost. The life of an adult child.

It matters not that the child was an adult and successful and filled with abundant choices. When a child dies before the parent, the natural order of things is altered forever and the parent must deal with the reality of losing a birth creation as best they can. It's not easy. It's painful. It is what it is.

I know, I lost a son to brain cancer and there is not a single day that passes that I don't think of him, miss him or wonder what he is doing in the angelic realms of being.

The email I received was about a suicide. A Mother lost her adult son to suicide and was questioning.

She wrote:

"I have encountered many well meaning professionals, family and friends who's "advice" has been, "it's not your fault," professionals telling me "people who commit suicide are angry and bitter"..therefore "not OUR fault."

How convenient, a neatly wrapped package that relieves us of any responsibility.
To a degree, this might be true. My frustration and question is, shouldn't we wonder why they were angry? Aren't we as a society at least in some small way responsible?"

My answer is this:

We, as a spiritual society, are all ONE, and therefore responsible for the "other," for growth is not singular, but we are responsible only in the breath of Divine love. We are not responsible for another's choice of action. We can counsel. We can encourage. We can plead, but the choice of finite action belongs to the individual. It is their Divine right of Being.

We all acknowledge that survival is a very strong instinct. Having said that, I don't believe that the energy of suicide is an act of an angry or bitter person. I believe it is a deep act of letting go by a person who finished what he or she came here to do and decided not to stay in this density anymore. The act itself, abhorrent as it is to most souls, leaves a spiritual gift behind if we choose to see it.

It is the gift of choice. It offers to those who remain in physical form choices for growth they never would have encountered otherwise. This is how we all grow in the experience of unconditional love as evidenced from the Source, The All That Is that does not judge.

To my email questioner...you have my sympathy for your loss and as you work through your sorrow know a profound truth; there is much more to life than living in the body. You may mourn the loss of your son's form, but he still lives in the embrace of Divine love.






No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation