Wednesday, September 11, 2013

9/11 anniversary


Today is an anniversary of a tragic time in American history. Mention two numbers and nearly everyone understands the significance. 9/11.

I saw it happen that terrible morning twelve years ago. I watched the first plane plow into the North tower at 8:46 AM.

I anchored coverage of the story for several days and again on the first anniversary a year later. You can see some of my commentaries on that anniversary by going to www.rollandgsmith.com and clicking on the video links.

For today, the 12th anniversary I have written a poem entitled, “The Whistle.”

The Whistle
©2013 Rolland G. Smith

I heard a distant whistle blow
T’was mournful in its wail,
But that was in a dream, I think,
Where truths will oft prevail.

The whistle’s call was real enough,
At least within my mind.
Its empty sound reminded me
Of loss in distant time.

Its time they say that cures all ills
And time that tames the heart.
But time can’t take the pain away
When scars new tear apart.

The pain of then, so long ago,
When towers burned and fell
Renews its hurt when names are read,
And clappers ring the bell.

The months the same, the year is not
When I too lost a son.
But grief is grief, when all seems lost,
It is for everyone.

But now I choose, as all must do,
To honor life above
And let him go to heaven’s things
And send to him my love.

I heard a distance whistle blow
T’was lonely in its wail,
But that was in my dream, I think,
Where truths will oft prevail.



No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation