Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Happy Birthday George H. Smith

My Dad would have been 104 years old yesterday. He was born and reared in Canada. He was a great Dad and I still miss his form even though he passed to the other side years ago. Recently I was invited to speak at a gathering in Canada and they asked about my Canadian connection. I wrote the following poetic explanation. The theme of the conference was "Rocks and Roots."


From Canada my Dad did come
Across the border to the states.
He came for work when youth was done,
And also found his love’s embrace.

His Father came from Britain’s heart
A midlands village in the West.
He lived a path he did not chart
For tragedy left life undressed.

He lost his family in a fire
And moved his roots to Canada.
T’was there he found another pyre
A fiery gal, my grand mama.

From them my Dad was given life
And grew to manhood on the coast.
New Brunswick’s living had its strife
But it became my Father’s host.

But rocks and roots must oft let go
And Dad began his quest for more.
And to the States, with oats to sow,
He set his hopes on Boston’s shore.

When I was small and just a shard
To Canada we thus would go.
One Uncle was a border guard
And others farmed so long ago.

So now you know why I can say
O Canada, your rocks and roots
Are part of me this very day
And to your country I salute.

No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation