Monday, July 30, 2012

Florida

I'm not sure it's the smartest thing to do in July, but I've spent the last few days visiting relatives in Florida. Fine food, good conversations and overall comfort has made the trip enjoyable.

One experience which I would do over and over again is Kayaking the Chassahowitzka river located about an hour north of Tampa. It is a spring fed river. The put in point is at Seven Sisters Spring and you can navigate to the Gulf if you choose to do so. Manatees and Dolphins live and play in the constant 72-degree water. The water is mirror clear and I could see schools of fish flashing by my Kayak as I paddled in and out of tiny tributaries on Haird Creek some of them no more than four feet wide.



Silence was the ambient sound along with the occasional call of birds and critters; just the dip of my paddle broke the overall peace.

I tasted the political climate of conservative Florida along with dollar beers at a local watering hole. A sign on the paint-peeling door of the shack-like establishment set the tone. "Smoking is permitted." The barmaid was bubbly, busy and friendly as I got introduced around to some of the regulars.

Some other observations about Florida.

The tap water never runs cold.
Most highways are straighter than Mitt Romney in a starched tuxedo.
People are ignorant of global politics or care less.
Nobody plays golf after ten in the morning accept northern idiots.
Fine Restaurants are few and far between, but when you find one its busy.
People my age live here because it's cheap, warm and comfortable.
Watch out for drivers than can't turn their necks to back up.

Would I come back in July? Yes.
Could I live here someday? Yes.
Did I enjoy myself? Yes.


No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation