Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Coach Flying


Observations on board an almost trans-continental flight.

The first thing I noticed was that I had to pay extra for a regular size suitcase. Fifteen dollars! It was a policy instituted in 2008 when the fuel prices were going through the proverbial roof.

Now in March of 2009 the fuel prices are far less than they were, but I’m still paying for the fuel surcharge. Something’s wrong. Could it be greed? Probably not, the airlines wouldn’t do that.

An hour or so into the flight came the announcement that a snack would be served, not lunch, but a snack. There were two choices.

It was seven dollars for a salad and seven dollars for a pastrami sandwich. Seven dollars! This is airline food, mass produced, tasteless at best and they want seven dollars for an entre.

I paid it. I was hungry. I also ordered a tiny plastic bottle of wine. Tuesday’s vintage. It tasted like a Tuesday pressing. It too was seven dollars.

The last time I took a long enough flight to be offered a drink and a sandwich was a year ago. Then it was five dollars for the food and five dollars for the wine. Greed again? It was probably inflation not the airline.

The lady across the isle obviously knew far more than I did. She brought her own food. Celery sticks filled with peanut butter. I guess there are some things worse than airline food.

Two rows in front of me sat a weary young mother with two little kids, a little boy about two and a little girl about four. The girl had the loudest piercing voice I’ve ever heard. The boy was quintessentially terrible. Worse! Loud, crying, jumping, kicking and bellowing decibel discomfort throughout the entire coach class section.

Everyone was annoyed. Somebody complained to the flight attendant and the Mother said the kid was autistic.

People, who could, brought out their noise cancelling earphones. I brought out a hundred dollar bill and offered to buy one from anybody, but there were no takers.

I ordered another tiny bottle of wine for seven dollars. I finally dozed amid the noise, the screaming and the distraction.

If it were legal I would have bought another bottle or two and given it to the kid.

Seriously, I feel for the Mother and the little boy. They have a tough life ahead. The lesson I learned for me was that I am still intolerant. I'll work on it.

6 comments:

Bosco said...

Hey there Roland,
Its Bosco, I was the wine guy (sommelier in a perfect world) on the Schooner Appledore. Wnated to say hello more than comment, however, maybe I can offer some words of hope for you and and the rest of us who fly coach. I believe you just paid your dues and your next few flights should be smooth and quiet. Basically, its karma, or the yin yang, etc. To back up my theory, here's a little tale. The first time I flew to Asia I was on JAL. I was upgraded to Executive class, which at the time was better than first class. You know that little row of windows and the top of a 747? Well, that's where I was. A walk up a spiral staircase put me there. Free everything, wine, champagne, sushi, those great little Japanese crackers wrapped in seaweed, fully reclining seats, essentially a little slice of heaven. The flight home however was a bit different. Back in coach and it was a packed flight. The Japanese family in front of me had a toddler. He was wearing little plastic sandals the were basically squeak toys attached to his feet. Every step he took, and he took many, made a squeak. Great for a nervous mom as you could always hear where he was, but terrible for the guy in the row behind them.

Anonymous said...

Imagine what these folks would have thought of coach:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Party

Anonymous said...

I frequently take trans-continental flights between Los Angeles and Philadelphia, so I've had my share of airline experiences. It feels like sticker shock every time I fly, but they're the only industry you don't hear about filing for bankruptcy and going out of business in this bad economy. Since gas prices fell, they have made profit for their survival.

Anonymous said...

Many are suffering in the world. You are not one of them. Raindrops. Tears. It's all water. Be well. And tolerant. And stop drinking that crappy wine. Love, Alice cluckcluck

SHA said...

Next time, fly Southwest. Only $5 for the vodka & tonic I bought to quell the anger brought on by the kid behind me kicking my seat back and snapping his snack tray back and forth for 3 hours.

Anonymous said...

Thought you might enjoy this about who is in coach (besides you and me)..

http://tinyurl.com/c38wym

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation