Friday, November 21, 2014

The Subway

Once again I was in New York City yesterday. It was a long day and lots of subway rides.

I try to be inconspicuous when I observe the riders on the subway. Just about everyone avoids eye contact with anyone standing next to you or seated across from you.

Once when I did make eye contact, the guys across from me said in an angry tone, “What are you looking at?” I said, “nothing” and let it go at that. That was the last time I made eye contact. Now I seemingly stare off in the distance, but I’m really taking in the scene.

Years ago, men, AKA gentlemen, got up from their seats and offered them to women who boarded the train at a later stop. Not any more!

Today riders read, eat, sleep, chat, if they are with a companion, text on their smart phones, or like me stare innocuously into the non-existence distance, but probably take in the scene.

Yesterday I asked an MTA motor-woman if such and such was the right stop for where I wanted to go. She said yes, but then a little later came out of her cubby, waved me over and asked a more defined question to make sure it was the correct stop for me.


It was and she smiled. It was a nice experience and I thank that MTA woman for her courtesy. See, even in New York City nice things happen.

No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation