Monday, April 23, 2012

Prayer Flags


I have a three-acre meadow that sits about five stories below my house. I often write about mowing the meadow, but this post is about what's in the meadow. 

My house sits on a ridge and commands a grand view of the meadow far below. A pond is the lower border of the sloping meadow grasses.



In the upper part of the meadow, as you can see in the picture, there is a large protruding rock about five feet long and three feet wide at its center.

Years ago, I knew there was nothing I could do to remove the rock, so I hired a rock cutter to drill three eight inch deep holes in the rock and in them I placed three metal pipes. One was eighteen feet long, another sixteen feet and the third fourteen feet. On each pole I tie Buddhist prayer flags and let them fly in the wind for a couple of years.

I have always loved the idea of the Buddhist prayer flags. They are very gossamer silk-like tiny square flags of brilliant primary colors. There is a prayer imprinted on the flag. The prayer comes from the Indian Buddhist Sutras. They bless the surrounding countryside and promote peace, compassion, strength and wisdom

The idea, as I understand it, is that when the wind blows tiny fibers of the flag fly off on the wind and carry the prayer and blessing to all those in the path of the wind. The tiny fibers do fly off for I do have to replace the flags every few years. I just did hence the brilliant colors.

I hope just writing about the flags and showing you a picture that the prayer embraces you on the ethereal wind of cyberspace. 

No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation