Monday, April 2, 2012

The Lottery


Why is it, do you think, that Americans plunked down a little over 1.5 BILLION dollars to be part of a lottery dream?

The big mega-millions lottery on Saturday was worth 640 million dollars.

I think I know an answer. Everyone wants to be part of the dream, their dream.

If you ask anyone who put down a buck or more, either with their lucky numbers or a quick number pick, they each know what they would do with the money. Or at least they say what they would do with it if they win and then the minutia of money comes in play.

People come out of the proverbial woodwork to glean, earn, represent, invest or steal a part of the fortune.

Almost everyone interviewed before a drawing says I would help someone, or give to the poor, but for most folks that is a fleeting caveat to fool the luck gods to bless the bet.

Saying you are going to help the poor and doing so are two different things and probably forgotten when and if one finds oneself the winner of mega-millions.

Big winners of the past are often interviewed about how the millions changed their lives. Some have wasted the money and others have fared well, but often acknowledge that money does not bring happiness.

I wish I could say I was an ascetic and did not bet on this mega-lottery. I cannot. I did punk down ten dollars.

If I won this will be my last post.  Tune in tomorrow.

No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation