Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Blessings


I had pasta and a roll for dinner last night and it was filling and fine. It was a simple meal, but ample and nourishing.

With every bite I thought of those throughout the world who have little or nothing to eat and where starvation is a constant worry. They count the grains of rice for the pot to feed a family and deal with the ache of hunger as the body eats itself in a wrenching dichotomy to stay alive.

My simple meal was to millions of souls around the world, a feast.

I went to the doctor the other day because I had a cold. There too I thought of the ease with which I got an appointment and the pharmacy choices I could go to fill the prescription. There are so many millions in the world who have no access to even simple medical treatments let alone to modern medicines to cure or ease the pain.

To get the same medical expertise, most of the world would have to walk for days or suffer in place.

I have a nice home. Good neighbors. I have heat, electricity and freedom from fear. Yet, I know there are millions who love their families as I do mine, but who have no permanent home without the hostile and real intrusion of fear and war.

With all these realizations, there comes a moment when I must ask the question, “Why me?” “Why do I have so much and so many have so little?”

I don’t know the full answer and I suspect I never will until I get to the other side. I do know that even though there is no complete answer to my question, there are self-realizations that appear when the question is asked and they lead the way, not only to an appreciation of what I do have, but to the responsibilities that go with the abundance.

Giving from substance.

Compassion and aid to those who suffer.

Tolerance of other’s beliefs.

Awareness of need.

There is a poem in my new book, “Stone Wisdom” that makes a point. It’s called:

“Blessings Lost”
© 2008 Rolland G. Smith

What if we named all blessings thought
But lost the ones that we forgot.
Would then we see the list we lost
As precious gifts again besought?

And what if too, we loved each soul
And saw ourselves in them unfold.
Would then indifference change to love?
Would thoughts be guided from above?

Lofty thoughts can oft inspire
To be the peace of soul’s desire.
Thoughts have their strength when seasoned pure
Attached to Source that does allure.

If thanks were said for all we know,
Forgetting naught, would then it show
Abundance is not things, but grace
Of substance shared that all embrace?

We know of those who need much more
And cannot pay for pills and cure.
And must have help with basic need
But some of us embrace a greed.

Not me, you say, and I say too
But of the many, we are few.
And then I looked at what I gave
A shame I’ll hide unto the grave.

No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation