Thursday, November 1, 2012

Overload


There must be a human condition called "overload." I have been constantly watching the excellent local coverage of Hurricane Sandy's approach and aftermath and I praise the New York local television stations for their extensive coverage under the most extreme conditions. Many of my former news colleagues are still in the forefront of disaster reporting and they are doing a magnificent job.

But now I must step back. At some point, we all must step back, and assess our feelings precipitated from the visceral import of prolonged exposure to devastative and tragic input.

Its late when I am writing this and I am sitting before a warming and dying fire. The television is turned off. I have downloaded enough of the days pathos into a mental repository for later. Now I can relax to the calming flap of gentle flames in my fireplace. It is mesmerizing and restorative to my mental well-being.

I still acknowledge the sadness and sorrow of so many folks in New York and New Jersey and elsewhere as they struggle to cope with the variety of conditions precipitated by Hurricane Sandy, but for this singular moment in time this is where I must pause.

The waning flames from a maple log are almost gone.

In times of tragic events and conditions we react, we prepare, we repair, we encourage,  and we go on. It is the nature of things and it is the nature of humankind. We do, however, need time to reflect and rest and give thanks for the safety of self and loved ones.

Be well my friends.

No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation