Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Ed Joyce

Throughout the years of my career employments in what is called the “News Business” we all meet many people who are our colleagues and who are our bosses and sometimes they become our friends.
I’ve come to the conclusion in my later years that it is not easy to be a boss. It’s not easy to assuage the wants, needs and emotions of people you try to manage and supervise and encourage them to give the best performance out of their innate and experiential abilities.
I’ve had the pleasure of staying in contact with a man who was my boss over forty years ago.
I was just informed that he passed to the other side on Saturday.
Ed Joyce was 82. His wife Maureen and his son and daughter obviously will miss him. I will miss him too even though we had not been in touch for a few years.
When I last talked to him the strength of his thought and reason had not changed. He was tough when I worked for him, but he was fair and that to me is the quintessential quality of a good leader.
Ed was skilled in all aspects of journalism. He was a reporter, a writer, a broadcaster, a news director and eventually president of CBS News. He had the imagination and vision of seeing the potential and the opportunity in something new while maintaining the ethic and dignity of an old and established profession.

Journalism has lost a good man. Rest in Peace Ed; see you on the other side.

No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation