Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Passages

This is the time of year when newspapers and broadcast stations do a retrospective of the year and list the newsmakers and celebrities we’ve lost this year.

I remember when I would read this list on the air with pictures or clips I was always surprised at those I didn’t remember who passed.

This year, as I read and reflect in silence, I’m still surprised in the privacy of my easy chair, but now I am more reflective of self as I compare the ages of those who died with my advancing years. It does provide an interesting perspective.

Requiescat In Pace 2013:

Nelson Mandela, Pauline Phillips ( Dear Abby ), Stan Musial, Ed Koch, C. Everett Koop, Margaret Thatcher, Dr. Joyce Brothers, Senator Frank Lautenberg, Helen Thomas, Senator Harry Byrd, David Frost, Scott Carpenter, Congressman Tom Foley, Ester Williams, Julie Harris, Bonnie Franklin, Tom Clancy, Pat Summerall, James Gandolfini, Patti Page, Van Cliburn, Richie Havens, Eydie Gorme.

And a special remembrance to Will Murphy, my friend and fellow broadcaster.


I agree with philosopher Ralph Waldo Emerson. He said, “It is not the length of life, but the depth.”

No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation