Thursday, May 15, 2008

Check The Facts!

When I started writing this Blog and in fact when I started writing commentaries a number of years ago, I decided that I would not critique, but I would offer an alternative view of looking at a situation, an issue, an action, or a belief.

While I still try and sometimes fail to hold to that personal and specific ethic, it is often difficult to do so when those in authority, when those in leadership positions, when those who are acknowledged partisans, and especially when those who are ordinary, everyday, common citizens choose ignorance over intelligence. Unfortunately it happens everyday and everywhere because opinionated righteousness demands, not only a personal validation, but a vindication from suspicion of being wrong. To me facts demand validation and so few today, who are immersed in their political or spiritual beliefs, seek the confirmation attainable in common sense or astute research. Too many prefer the invalid verification of blind faith or blind allegiance by the acclamation of cheers and applause from others who are just as uninformed for it gives momentary strength to an empty belief.

A colleague recently sent me an email saying if I buy a six volt battery and pry off the top I’d have umpteen double A batteries for a lot less money. Then he sent me an email saying, “Whoops” it wasn’t true. He doesn’t do this in his political emails attacking his opponents with the untruths he believes to be true. Untruths never matter when the result brings about what you politically desire. To me a logical and even fair motto for all of us, is don’t send junk out until you personally check it. Too many people today are willing to stand for what they think is true, not for what is true, and they are lazy for checking facts and conclusions requires some effort and then maybe even a change of mind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To me facts demand validation and so few today, who are immersed in their political or spiritual beliefs, seek confirmation. Many prefer the invalid verification by the acclamation of cheers and applause from the uninformed for it gives momentary strength to an empty belief.

If I didn't know you, I would read this to mean our spiritual beliefs should only be embraced if we have verifiable facts to back them up. Should political and spiritual beliefs be subject to the same scrutiny? If we do require the same level of fact checking for each, wouldn't that make agnostics of us all? What happens to the "knowing"? And isn't he very meaning of "belief" itself that we know and trust something, even without verifiable facts?

xoxo Pip (the fact checker)

Rolland G. Smith said...

Dear Anonymous, Thanks for the comment. I have added some words for clarification. RGS

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation