Friday, April 4, 2008

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Today is the anniversary of the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.


Martin Luther King
© 1995 Rolland G. Smith

I had a dream the other night
And Martin Luther King was there.
He spoke in tones befit the wise
And asked me if I’d share,
The news of how his dream came out,
Since he had been away.

I told him times had changed somewhat
But the dream was still a dream
And somewhere in these many years
Was progress, or so it seemed.
Tell me, he said, what has happened,
Since he had been away.

We’ve legislated out the hate,
I said, but laws can’t touch the mind,
If bias reeks within the heart
There cannot be a human - kind.
It’s still not true, he said,
For he had been away.

And then he said, where he is now,
There is no ONE color bright,
Not black or white, yellow or brown.
There is only a loving light.
It’s the truth I lived, and live,
He said, as he went away.

1 comment:

Leah said...

Rolland, what a lovely, bittersweet tribute to a powerful spirit born into a brown body come to earth to fight injustice and right wrong. I hope Dr. King would think the color lines of prejudice have been blurred over the past forty years since he left and been replaced by a more welcoming mindset called diversity. What would break his heart is to see souls filing past golden opportunity requiring commitment, tenacity and sacrifice and making a beeline for free handouts and quick fixes. Have the souls Dr. King prayed to free merely become slaves to a different owner?

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation